Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wreath of Roses Cowl - Pattern

Along with gloves, I've really gotten into cowls this season. I really dislike turtlenecks, but I love cowls. I will wear one all day long. I especially love smaller or shorter ones that you don't wrap and can be made quick with just one skein of yarn.

I came up with this cowl and did it up in one evening while watching T.V. I was playing with stitches I've learned and thought a cluster stitch would add a little dimension to the cowl. If you don't know how to cluster stitch I have an explanation in the pattern and hope to get a video up soon. It is actually super easy, much like a dc decrease only you stay in the same stitch. I alternated a 3-dc cluster and a single dc in a round then also going up the cowl so that a cluster sits on a single stitch and a single stitch sits on a cluster. The finished look made me think of roses.





Materials
Super Bulky yarn (for this one I used Bernet Softee Chunky in Wine)
N Hook

Abbreviations
ch – chain
st – stitch
sl st – slip stitch
dc – double crochet
sk – skip
yo – yarn over
dc cluster – yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw through st (3 loops on hook), yo and draw through 2 loops, 2 loops left on hook (this is a half closed dc), yo, insert hook in same st, yo and draw through st (4 loops on hook), yo and draw through 2 loops, 3 loops left on hook, yo, insert hook in same stitch, yo and draw through st (5 loops on hook), yo and draw through 2 loops, 4 loops left on hook, yo and draw through all 4 loops.

Ch 54, sl st to join
Rd1 – ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1), sk next st, dc cluster, ch 1, sk 1, *dc, ch 1, sk 1, dc cluster, ch 1, sk 1* repeat to end, sl st to 3rd ch of first ch 4
Rd2 – ch 2 (counts as first half closed dc), in same st complete dc cluster (yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw through st (3 loops on hook), yo and draw through 2 loops, 2 loops left on hook, yo, insert hook in same st, yo and draw through st (4 loops on hook), yo and draw through 2 loops, 3 loops left on hook, yo and draw through all 3 loops), ch 1, sk 1, dc, ch 1, sk 1, *dc cluster, ch 1, sk 1, dc, ch 1, sk 1* repeat to end, sl st to top of first cluster
Rd3 - 6 – Repeat Rd1 and Rd2, clusters should sit on top of single dc sts and single dc sts should sit on top of clusters.

If you have any questions or find any mistakes let me know. This pattern is for personal use only, if you want to sell a finished product please credit me for the design. Thanks and happy stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly