Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Rose Granny Square - Pattern

We have roses blooming in our backyard that are a pretty pink red. I love looking at them. I've been looking for a pattern for a rose square, something simple. I had been having trouble finding just the right one (though I found a number of other squares that I love). I was looking at one of my favorite blogs and found something really close. I made it, but it wasn't quite there yet. So I made some changes.


This is what I came up with. The original pattern came from Alexis at Persia Lou and her Flower Hexi Baby Afghan. I changed the placement of the back petals to make it look more like a rose. Alexis also made her pieces hexagons. I wanted to have squares as I am thinking of making these into a pillow. Below is both as squares so you can see the difference. My version is on the left and Alexis' on the right.

I made enough changes, that I thought I would post my version of the pattern. But go check out the original because Alexis' baby blanket is beautiful.

Materials:
Worsted weight yarn, two colors
Hook I (5.50 mm)
Yarn Needle

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
sl st - slip stitch
sk - skip
sp - space
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
trc - treble (triple) crochet

with first color
ch 6, join with sl st to first ch to form ring


R1 - ch 1, sc 12 into ring, sl st in first sc


R2 - ch 1, *sc, ch 2, sk 1* x 6, sl st in first sc


R3 - ch 4, sl st in first sc, in ch 2 sp [sc, ch 2, dc 4, ch 2, sc], *sl st in sc, ch 4, sl st in same sc, in next ch 2 sp [sc, ch 2, dc 4, ch 2, sc]* Repeat * 4 more times, after final petal sl st in first ch 4 (6 petals, 6 ch 4)

first ch 4

ch 4, first petal, ch 4


R4 - ch 1, *in ch 4 sp [sc, ch 3, dc 5, ch 3, sc], ch 1 behind petal from previous round* Repeat in eah ch 4 sp, after final ch 1 sl st in first sc (6 petals, 6 ch 1)

ch 1 behind smaller petal


Fasten off

R5 - join second color at any ch 1 sp, sc in same sp, ch 3, sl st around post of middle dc of back petal (back to front like a back post stitch), ch 3, *sc in ch 1 sp, ch 3, sl st around middle dc, ch 3* Repeat * 4 more times, sl st in first sc


view from the back after R5

R6 - sl st in next ch 3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc) dc 2 in same space, *in next ch 3 sp [trc 3, ch 3, trc 3], dc 3 in next 2 ch 3 sp* Repeat once more, in next ch 3 sp [trc 3, ch 3, trc 3], dc 3, sl st into 3rd ch of first ch 3 and fasten off, or do an invisible join


I prefer an invisible join. After the last dc cut the yarn and pull through the stitch. Thread your needle, skipping the ch 3 insert the needle back to front through top of the first dc, pull tight.


Insert the needle back into the last dc made through the back loop only and pull tight.


Ta da, invisible join


I haven't quite decided on a pillow for this or not. I still need to work on a solid square to go with it.


I would love to see any thing you make with this square and I hope you enjoy.


Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly